LUVIN ME

A way to express my thoughts to the world...

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Another Challenge...

I had a session with my girl's group yesterday. During the summer, I meet with them twice a week instead of once. There is a new girl in my group, and she is broken. She has been through so much at such a young age. I just hope that I can help her.

Her father died when she was 5 years old, and her mother never bounced back, so this poor child was left to suffer. Since then, her mother has been in and out of rehab and jail, and she has been in and out of foster care. Her mother has even traded her for drugs on several occasions. She is in the process of being adopted by her aunt. We go to the same church. Her aunt heard about the program and asked if there was any way that I could help her niece. She is strong willed, and very smart. She just doesn't know how to express herself. For her, being tough has been her outlet. She is getting into all kinds of trouble. It is up to me to find out what lies beneath it all, and find a way to help her express it in a positive way. I know this will be challenging, but if it saves her, then it is worth it.

I know that I can't save the world, and I'm not trying to, but I can help these girls...one by one, I am doing my part. I am taking her out to lunch today. She has never been to a restaurant. In the short time I have known her, she has opened up to me a lot. I think the problem with her is, she doesn't care about the world because she has never had anyone to care about her. She sees being smart as a sign of weakness, so she hides it from the world. The first thing I must do is build a line of trust. She is starting to trust me, but I have to show her that I trust her before she will trust me completely. This is a very delicate process that has to be handled with care because it can either make or break our relationship. We have a long way to go, but I know she'll be just fine.

Every time I help one of these girls, I know what lies ahead. It gets frustrating at times... When they first come in, they are disrespectful, angry , and just don't care. They will say anything to you. The beauty in the whole situation is the outcome of all my hard work. I don't get paid for what I do, the reward of their success means so much more to me and no monetary value can be placed on that. I get my happiness when they have reached a happy point in their lives...In my own way, I am bringing them out of darkness.

It's crazy how I can go from fighting one day, to trying to stop the girls from fighting the next...But I guess that's what makes me successful with them...

No questions today...Just had to let that out...

15 Comments:

  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    I forgot about the group sessions you have. It's a wonderful thing that you are doing what you can to help our future.

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger Msnhim said…

    Its great that your willing to go the extra mile to help these girls.... Kudos to you

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger TTD said…

    do you ever let your daughter meet these girls? how does she feel that you volunteer? i know as an only child i didnt want my mom giving my time & ATTENTION away... just curious

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @ladynay...Somebosy has to care.

    @msnhim...Thanks!

    @ttd...She is in a group for younger girls so she is occupied while I am with the teen girls. My child has my mannerism. Even when she picks her friends she is always helping the undog...So to that I'll have to say no. She really doesn't have a selfish bone in her body...

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @southern gal...Thank You!

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Ms.Honey said…

    I forgot all about those too. It's so wonderful for you to be there...because in the long run you being one person will make the difference even if it's just a small one....God put you there for a reason...I wonder if your daughter realizes how blessed she is to have you and live the life she does...I'm sure she is very aware....

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @honey...She knows...She tells me all the time. I just continue to do what I can not only for my child, but for others kids as well...

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Freaky Deaky said…

    One less hurt and angry person is a great thing. I hope you can help her. Keep up the good work.

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @freaky...Thanks! I hope I can help her too!

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger nikki said…

    i know those sessions are making a world of difference for those girls. i'm so glad you're taking the time to do them.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @nikki...As exhausting as they may be, I'm glad I am taking the time as well...Thank You.

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger ~HoustonNY~ said…

    hey didn't know you did group sessions....or I knew and forgot. I think its great that you are helping out our youth or anyone in need. Man, you constantly surprise me....that's probably why you are one of my favorite bloggers! *smile* Tee~

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Organized Noise said…

    I hope there are more positive people like yourself out there.

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @Terrance....Awwww...Thank you T!

    @organized noise....Thanks for stopping by!

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Abeni said…

    Keep on doing this.It makes a whole world of difference to one person

     

Post a Comment

<< Home