LUVIN ME

A way to express my thoughts to the world...

Friday, May 12, 2006

You Can Never Be Too Safe

Although my man and I are in a monogamous relationship now, it hasn't always been that way. We have been messing around for a couple of years now...doing the sex thing. It was on a call me when you need it type basis. But we decided to try our hand at the relationship, after years of head board bangin', and it worked out better that we both imagined. In that time, although we've trusted each other, we would get tested every six months. We didn't want any 'heat of the moment" slip ups.

So for the last time before we are married, we got tested. I am pleased to report that we are both NEGATIVE! I got my results yesterday. Whew. My girls thought I was crazy to insist on us doing it. Crazy or not...I'm alive! After what happened to my friend who is pregnant and contracted herpes from her cheating husband, I'm not taking any chances. I also have a friend who is afraid to get tested. He says he doesn't want to know. Now that's crazy... As my grandmother used to say, " All that book sense and not a bit of good old fashioned common sense."

I have to know. It helps me sleep better at night. Some people don't know just how important it is.

This weekend, we will be celebrating with our friends...to, as they say, see what we will be missing. We will also be getting ALL of our mothers together for the first time, on Sunday afternoon... even the ones that don't live in Dallas. It took a lot of planning to pull it off. Some of my friends' mothers are a trip, FOR REAL! But, still I can't wait. My friend has put together a fabulous "Look What You Made Me Wear" Fashion Show and dinner. We gave him childhood pics of us from various ages, and he remade the outfits. My Boo had this one pic in some shorts and cowboy boots, and you know my boy took it and ran with it. We will be modeling them for our mothers ( including families anf friends). Give that boy some fabric and a sewing machine, and he will blow you away! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I know we will be laughing for days.

I am sick of people asking me questions about the wedding. All the details! I don't know! I am not the typical southern belle, who dreams of having a big wedding. I really don't even want a wedding. I would be satisfied with a nice ceremony, with my family and closest friends, and taking a trip somewhere. But both of our mothers are off the chain with the details. I have barely been engaged for a week...Dang! We are strongly thinking about pulling a Martin and Gina (the Martin Lawrence fans know what I mean). We would only take my daughter, my brother, Softspoken and his beau, and my Boo's best friend and his girl. Then let my daughter fly back with my brother while we honeymoon. Our parents would be SOOO upset, but they are already driving us to that point, and we have no clue when we are going to get married! When I say, I don't know what colors I want, or what theme I want, they look at me like I'm crazy. Should I know what I want already? Was there some type of manual given to girls when they reached adolescence that I missed? If so, could someone please overnight me a copy?

Well...on with the questions...

Do you feel it is important to know your status? ( All of you sexually active individuals know what status I'm talking about)

Do you feel that people should be tested, even after they are in a monogamous(and I use that word cautiously) relationship, or even after they are married or committed to a partner?

For those of you that believe in marriage...What would your dream wedding be like? What colors? Feel free to email me any ideas that you may have at luv2luvme99@yahoo.com.
I will take them ALL into consideration.

15 Comments:

  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Freaky Deaky said…

    Your weekend sounds like it's going to be fun. Hope you have a happy Mother's day.

    I don't see the big deal on wedding day ceremonies. I guess I never will if I had to pay for it. I'd rather have all the money being spent on the open bar, DJ/band/singer, catering, hall rental, etc. and use it for something practical.

    I've read the adolescent girl manual and it was complete gibberish. The few parts I did understand terrified me and have left me traumatized to this day.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Msnhim said…

    Do you feel it is important to know your status? ( All of you sexually active individuals know what status I'm talking about)

    ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Thats the 1st thing you should do.


    Do you feel that people should be tested, even after they are in a monogamous(and I use that word cautiously) relationship, or even after they are married or committed to a partner?


    ABSOLUTELY!!!! Some STD's take a while to show up.

    For those of you that believe in marriage...What would your dream wedding be like? What colors? Feel free to email me any ideas that you may have at luv2luvme99@yahoo.com.
    I will take them ALL into consideration.


    I was the budget bride, by that I mean that I wanted a nice wedding not neccesarily an expensive wedding. So we kept it small.We had about 70-80 guest only family and good friends and it was perfect.

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @freaky...I don't see what all the fuss is about...A dress, a couple of pictures, and thousands of dollars later...The relationship will still be the same.

    @msnhim...My mother made sure that my brother and I won't have to pay for our weddings, so money is not an issue. I just don't want the hassle. I could do without the ceremony all together.

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Charles X said…

    congrats on being POSITIVE about your health and being hiv NEGATIVE!

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    That's an awesome idea for mothers day! Girl you know a bunch of women read your stuff and you asking for wedding ideas???? Whoa! ROFL

    Do you feel it is important to know your status? ( All of you sexually active individuals know what status I'm talking about)
    HECK YES! Bold and highlighted!!!

    Do you feel that people should be tested, even after they are in a monogamous(and I use that word cautiously) relationship, or even after they are married or committed to a partner?
    YES!!!!!

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger TTD said…

    status is VERY important!! even afterwards b/c not all symptoms show up right away & not all test show positive right away... and there's nothing wrong w/ continuously getting tested after being in a marriage/relationship b/c you can NEVER be too safe... and it's better to find ASAP than years later like your girl did...

    marriage.. dont know yet! im like you... but i at least know my colors :o) blue & silver!

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @charlesx... I was sweating bullets..

    @southern gal...Those are some interesting colors.

    @ladynay...The wedding ideas thing is a bit risky...but I am open to suggestions at this point.

    @ttd...At leas you know that...I don't have a clue.

    @dee...Happy Mother's Day to you too!

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Miz JJ said…

    Do you feel it is important to know your status? ( All of you sexually active individuals know what status I'm talking about)
    Hell yes. And all black woman should feel the same HIV & AIDS are killing us in drastic numbers. It's like Common said Knowing is Beautiful.

    Do you feel that people should be tested, even after they are in a monogamous(and I use that word cautiously) relationship, or even after they are married or committed to a partner?
    Hell yes. I may not tell my partner I am being tested, but it will take a lot for me to have unprotected sex again. I have never gotten anything, but I do believe that i


    For those of you that believe in marriage...What would your dream wedding be like? What colors?
    My dream is to elope. Lol. Seriously I want to get married on the beach. Just me and the dude and the person performing the ceremony. Then have a party with everybody. My vows and what I promise to that special someone will be personal between us.

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @miz jj...I really understand what you are saying. I want to elope to, but my mother would be crushed. I'm going to make sure that it is far from where we live though.

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Blogger Abeni said…

    A big Yes tp both questions.Life is just too precious to play around with

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger TTD said…

    HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger feels good b n FREE said…

    i'm just so happy for u...

    but i had my wedding planned 4 as long as i can remember...

    i had one version...but i look forward to making it even better the next time around (final time around) lol

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Darbs said…

    ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT I want to know my status!!! We are talking about a matter of life or death here. Please, everyone do yourself a favor and get tested. (I used to get tested so often that my doctor told me to stop...he said, if yout test too often the likelihood is greater that you may end up with a false positive one day and you don't want to freak yourself out).

    As for testing after marriage...I think testing with your routine check up is a very good practice. I would hope that you wouldn't have to make any interim/secret trips to the dr. in between!

    As for the wedding idea...I'm all about the destination wedding. I got married in Jamaica and honeymooned in St. Lucia. There were nine people in attendance and it was a beautiful thing. As things come to mind, I'll shoot you emails.

    Don't rush into anything...this is YOUR special day and it should be EXACTLY as you would like it.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Superstar Nic said…

    I don’t think that there is anything crazy about you and your future husband being tested. I think that was a very important thing for you to have done. I know that you are thrilled by the negative results and since you are monogamous, that’s something that you do not have to worry about.

    It’s VERY important to know your status and yes I do think that people should still be tested after they are in a monogamous relationship. We all know that just because one person is monogamous doesn’t mean that the other person is necessarily is.

    Happy Mother's Day 2 Ya!!!

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @abeni...Yes it is!

    @ttd...Thank you!

    @diamonds...I wish I could say the same. I'll probably end up flying off somewhere to do it.

    @darbs...That's a good idea. I might look into that!

    @nic...Thank you, and what you said is true, you can never know for sure what another person is doing.

    @sangroncito...There's something about knowing that helps me sleep easier.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home