LUVIN ME

A way to express my thoughts to the world...

Monday, May 01, 2006

Praise the Lord and Get Me Out of Here!

Things never go the way I plan them. I was prepared for the rain this weekend! Now tell me why it was hot and sunny yesterday, and today it will be 90 degrees in the shade. Hot weather plus Texas humidity equals an inferno!

I still had a good weekend. My Boo and I decided to get out on Sunday and go to church. I couldn't get into the service like I normally do...for some reason I felt really weird...A weekend of sinning topped off with a couple of hallelujahs...it just felt strange. I guess I was feeling a little guilty, but I got over that very fast, because we opted go back home and finish where we left off...

My cousin has been asking me to visit her husband's church, so we went. Two things that I normally don't discuss with people are religion and politics. This is simply because I have my own views, as most people do, I really don't want to hear what others have to say about what I think or how I feel. But Sunday after church, my "Holy Cousin" just got to me. Maybe it was the fact that I was already feeling guilty, but I was upset because I let her get to me.

She asked, "When are you two getting married?" I said "Soon enough." She is married to this hen-pecked, hang- on her-every-word, bible-toting, boot-leg preacher, that she only married because she was pregnant and she didn't want to shame her family. To me, those days are long gone. I will only marry when I am ready. She acts normal at family gatherings. They seem to be happy, but I was seeing a side of her that I had never seen...Then she starts quoting scriptures and telling me how I was "falling short of His glory." I didn't get upset. I actually felt sad for her. She was so wrapped up in HER religion, that she had forgotten the events that had led her to where she was. I just smirked at her and let her finish her babbling. My Boo was uneasy, but he didn't say anything.

If there is one thing I know, it's the bible. I learned it so I can understand it. I hate to speak or even have an opinion on things that I don't fully have an understanding of. I have also studied several other religions to understand them as well, but Christianity just fit me. Not what they teach you, but the understanding that I got from reading and studying on my own. I don't knock or ridicule the beliefs of others. I feel that a person's personal relationship with their higher power is a battle that they must fight within themselves.

But she basically started preaching to me right in the back of the church. Then she started jumping up and down, screaming, and waving her hands, doing some type of holy dance, saying that she was casting out the demons so I'll have a clean heart( If that was all it took then I would have been jumping and screaming a long time ago). My Boo and I just sat there and started at her like she had lost her mind. She stopped and tuned and led us to the section of the church where she was sitting.

I guess we were in the holy section, because when we sat down, these ladies gave us killer looks. They were up, clapping and waving their hands. I could tell that this was going to be a long service. One lady's holy dance looked more like the electric slide. My Boo and I started laughing when the lady next to her joined in. One thing that I can say, the choir was wonderful. There were about 15 people, but it sounded like 100. They sang with power and conviction, and one of the lead singers needs a record deal for sure! They were a talented bunch. How they ended up in this place is beyond me.

The preacher(my cousin's husband) asks for the visitors to stand and come to the front of the church. I hate churches like that! We went to the front. I was the spokesperson for my Boo and I. I have a well rehearsed speech that I save from churches like this. I said..."We bring you Greetings from the ____ Baptist Church. Where the Reverend_____ is my pastor. " I guess it was acceptable, because they moved on to the next person. But then EVERYONE in the church came around to shake our hands. UUGGGGHHH. All that human contact was a little too much for me. Maybe I was being anal, but I had to wash my hands. Some of those people...I won't even get into it, lets just say, I excused myself after it was over.

The preacher started preaching, and the people start yelling and falling out. I see white sheets and anointed oil all over the place. I was so ready to go. After 3 offerings, testimonies, and shouting. One testimony stuck in my mind. This lady was testifying about how she was waiting on the Lord is send her a man...A doctor, who would take care of her, buy her nice things, and love her to the end of time. I guess she took praying for specifics literally. From the looks of her, lets hope he a plastic surgeon..I had had enough! Then the preacher comes down and starts to speak about the church needing 'help" from its members. Then her starts saying...If you can give $5 come forth...If you can give $10 please come...If you can give $20 bring it to the Lord...God is waiting on his $50. Right when he got to the $100 mark, my Boo and I stood up to leave, and everyone starts shouting. Instead of heading to the front, we turned and walked towards the back doors. We almost had to wrestle the usher to get out of there. They have taken non-denominational to another level! That wasn't a church. That was a cult. We were so glad to get out of there. Never Again!


Have you ever been to a strange church?

Have you ever had anyone try to shove their religion down your throat?

Have you ever had a spout with someone over religion?

17 Comments:

  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Have you ever been to a strange church?
    OH YES INDEEDY! The church I used to go to! It sounded a lot like the church you attended this weekend cept the choir wasn't as tight! I remember the last time they had a "Healing service" the pastor went around and soon as the pastor touched someone they fell out and an usher would cover them. She came near where Babydaddy, Pooka and I were and she kept it moving. I guess she knew we wasn't gonna play along! Don't get me wrong. I believe that things like that really happen, but you could just tell this particular service was a joke! I can't tell you how many times I was asked when we were gonna get married once the church found out that I was pregnant. They could have cared less before, why so important after the fact? *smh*

    Have you ever had anyone try to shove their religion down your throat?
    Yes, even AFTER I told them that I believe that Jesus died for my sins. They just kept going and going.

    Have you ever had a spout with someone over religion?
    Who hasn't?

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger TTD said…

    wow! that's serious! 3 offerings??? i know some places take up a 2nd collection for special things.. but 3? and then he wanted more money?? i dont blame ya'll from leaving.. and i hate it when people try to shove their views on you.. i feel you in the whole.. you have your opinion, i have mine.. as long as i love and believe in HIM, then leave me alone thing... did ur cousin call you to ask why you left?

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Ms.Honey said…

    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

    Girl you are too crazy, why was I in tears....I'm not saying you can't praise God in the dance but when your dance looks like Jump on it and that you are practicing what you gonna do when you get to the Family Reunion (the Love SLide) I'm gonna laugh..sorry, I know the devil causes me to laugh at that but it is what it is. I detest places where they ask for money...all I need in $100 now all we need is $50..well if that's all you need why don't you put it in and the part that kills me is that they wait till people come and then they want to try and make you praise the Lord....he is in the place and you need to feel him NOW...umm I might be wrong but I wouldn't want anyone praising me if it was fake.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger 4EverJennayNay said…

    wow. who hasn't been to a church like that? I have a friend who is called to the ministry. When we were in HS he would travel around to various churches in the area and when he found one that he thought was special, he would invite the whole crew to go with him.

    One particular Sunday there were 5 girls, 3 guys. I wore pants, another girl wore a red suit and ofcourse we all wore hills and a little makeup. So ol girl in the red was a harlot in training and I was a devil possessed lesbian. And we were all too young to be wearing hills or makeup. The youngest was about 15 or 16. He brought his family up to the front as if they were to serve as an example. I knew one of the girls from middle school. Nuff said.

    The preacher is still in the area, and was recently featured on CNN, but I haven't been back since.

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Omar Ramon said…

    i don't like to discuss religion either, really. and i'm so sorry you had to experience all that phony , swindling, mess. Folk lose themselves in the shouting, singing, and dancing..and content themselves to collect mad offerings and faint and fall out all over the place....WAITING ON GOD TO SEND HER A DOCTOR?!...ooooh boy...folk (black folk especially , it seems) have really lost the essence of christianity. It's definitely more about RELIGON than spirituality. A MESS

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @ladynay...Sounds like they were trying to fill you with the holy ghost as well!

    @TTD...Of course...oN top of that, she started praying for me, and asked if I wanted to make a donation. The girl is Gone!

    @Honey...Again I'll say. It was a mess!

    @4ever...Thanks for stopping by.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @omar...This experience just made me appreciate my church so much more!

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Msnhim said…

    I try to stear clear of the "religion talk". I say what ever works for you if fine. I have a relationship with God and thats my business you worry about your relationshiop with him. That usually puts the KABOSH on any further discussion

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @msnhim...Yep, sometimes you have to shut them down before they get started.

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Freaky Deaky said…

    Have you ever been to a strange church?

    Can't say that I have.

    Have you ever had anyone try to shove their religion down your throat?

    Many times. I'm glad that I'm old enough and strong enough to resist.

    Have you ever had a spout with someone over religion?

    I've had some doozies! I've had relationships end because of it.

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Newy said…

    Something Similiar a few weeks ago and I blogged about it....
    http://www.mznewagenda.blog-city.com/can_you_pay_for_that.htm uh uh I have come to the conclusion that erry place ain't for erry body.. LOL

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Miz JJ said…

    Lol! My family grew up in a very conservative church so when I went to my first charasmatic church I was not expecting anything that I saw. People I didn't know wanted to hug me. The lady next to me starting speaking in tongues. The 'Minister' prayed over all the visitors and prayed for them to start attending his church.

    The one time I remember having a spout with someone over religion was when some people came to my door. I told them I was busy have pre-marital sex with my boyfriend...could they come back later? I thought the old lady was going to have a heart attack. Whatever, I never told her to roll up to my door at 10am.

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Blogger @GaryTylone said…

    Waiting for God to send her a husband...sounds like mommy...sad...so sad...its interesting to go to churches like that, because all of that seems just like the magic that they call evil. oils and casting demons out at the drop of a hat whenever they feel the need...so sad

     
  • At 1:25 AM, Blogger TrinaBeingTrina said…

    A few years ago my grandmother's church had an incident... The pastor got one of the deacon's daughter's pregnant. Half the church forgave him the other half didn't So he left the church and went elsewhere, and the half that forgave him followed him

    Does that constitute as a strange church or just scandal?

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger Abeni said…

    lol,this is so hilarious.Never been to any that weird.The church I go to we just ask visitors to stand,give their name and they get a welcome.No,handshaking by all and that stuff.Unfortunately,I have gotten in arguments over religion but lately am learning to avoid those.

     
  • At 6:44 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @freaky...Relationships end because of religious spouts...hmmm

    @mznewagenda...I'll have to check that out.

    @miz jj...I bet that scare the heck out of you.

    @southern gal...I started to walk out when they asked us to speak...

    @sangroncito...I hung in there as long as I could, but I had to leave...

    @valentino...Yep, it is sad.

    @trina...Yes ma'am. It's strange that people actually followed him. I know that we all are human, but you have to draw the line somewhere!

    @abeni...I can tune people out very easily. A person can be talking to me, and I can be looking them straight in the eye, and thinking about something totally different.

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Darbs said…

    Q: Have I ever been to a strange church:
    A: Yes, and I never went back.

    Q: Have you ever had someone try to shove religion down your throat?
    A: Other than coming to my door, trying to hand me a pamphlet or a newspaper...no, not directly thankfully. I wouldn't take to kindly to that.

    Q: Have you ever had a spout with someone over religion?
    A: Yes...one prompted my post "Your Fired & I'm Tired."

    @ Luvin: Glad you got out of there...you should never stay somewhere where you are not comfortable. I, too, prefer not to have to give a statement as a visitor, have more than one offering and have the pastor announce how much individuals are giving...my personal opinion is that it's tacky. But different strokes for different folks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home