LUVIN ME

A way to express my thoughts to the world...

Friday, February 09, 2007

She Said Too Much...

Yesterday, Angel, Ambitious, Softspoken and I all met up. They wanted to have drinks, and I was along for the ride. We went to Ambitious' bar. He has hired a manager and he has taken the back seat with plans to open a new bar soon. There was a new waitress that must have been hired recently working our table. She had no clue of who she was serving.

She took our orders and got them back in a timely manner. Then she came back to the table trying to make conversation, but she tried just a little too hard. She was talking about how she liked rap music and how she was down. I just sat there in disbelief knowing that this would be her last night working there. She was telling us how she had a baby by a black man and how she felt close to us because of her child. The whole time we just sat there looking at her. No one said thing. After she realized that she was having a conversation with herself, she walked away from our table to refresh the drinks.

She came back to the table. She must not have been wrapped too tight because if I had just gotten out of a conversation where I could see that the whole table was obviously not into what I was saying, I would definitely not try to start another one. But still she want on. She talked about how she loved our hair and how she was moving to the hood so that her child could be raised around more black people.

Maybe she was having a bad night...I couldn't even get offended because in my mind all I could do was feel sorry for the girl.

Ambitious was fuming. He has the ability to keep his cool in challenging situations. He asked to speak to the lady's manager. She had a confused look on her face and asked why, then went to find him when Ambitious did not answer.

When she and the manger came out the back, he had a nervous grin on his face. He could see that Ambitious was upset so he and the lady walked over to our table quickly. He said to the manager, "How are you this evening?" The manager answered, "Fine how are you sir?" Then Ambitious said, "Offended, and I'd like another server please." The manger looked at Ambitious and waited for him to say more but he didn't. By now we were done eating so he knew that he didn't mean he wanted another server at our table, but another server in general. The lady just stood there, still not knowing what was going on.

The manager and Ambitious went to the back and came out shortly after. Then the manager took the girl in the back and she came out later with the jacket on and her purse on her shoulder. She started to cry when she looked in our direction, knowing now the she had been talking to the owner.

After she left, Ambitious told us that she was fired because she had gotten too personal with the customers. What if he had been someone else? He said he had worked too hard to watch all that he had built be broken down by another person.

I really don't know how I felt. Even though I am greatly invested in the business, I choose to remain a silent partner and allow him to run things his way.

How would you feel in this situation? Would you be offended? Would you you have fired the lady?

This is not the first time I had a problem at his bar. My man and I went there to eat once and we got terrible service. I don't know if I was more upset because it was my friend's place or because my money was invested in this place. Since then service had improved greatly until now...

12 Comments:

  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    How would you feel in this situation?
    I have no clue

    Would you be offended?
    By the service, yes.

    Would you you have fired the lady?
    I think I would have gave her a warning first before firing her.

     
  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @ladynay...I was offended a little, but I felt sorry for her...

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Enigma said…

    In that situation I would have felt offended. I would have pulled her to the side as the owner and told her to have appropriate conversations with guest and informed her that they come to have a good time not to hear about her personal life etc. I would not have fired her due to the fact that her ignorance was running her mouth, not blatant racism.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger TTD said…

    i think i would've gave her a warning 1st before firing her.. but it's ambitious' bar, not mine.. he can do as he please...

    i dont know if i would've been offended.. as u.. i would've felt sorry for her b/c she is obviously a lost cause

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @enigma...I didn't feel like she was being racist...I think if should would have cut the conversation short she would have been okay, but she kept going on an on.

    @ttd...She didn't have a clue...

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Ms.Honey said…

    I think there is a time and a place for everything...if she were with her "black" friends perhaps she could have said that but she is a hostess there to serve you not give her life story..I would have fired her...or put her in the kitchen...I would have been offended that she took it upon herself to talk my head off and act like I was her home girl instead of a customer.

    But I do feel sorry for her cause apparently she still knows nothing about how "blacks" are LOL

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @Honey...People want to be something their not...why, I don't know.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger deepnthought said…

    wow. I have been in similar situations and I have had to fire folks for that. That was heavy. But I think I would have been more sorry for her than offended.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Freaky Deaky said…

    How would I feel in that situation?
    Depends on the night. I'd either be bemused or annoyed by her behavior. Then again I don't really care for people like we're buddies or equals when we're not.

    Would you be offended?
    Not necessarily by what she said but by the fact that she tried to force intimacy on me by injecting herself on my outing.

    Would you have fired the lady?
    I probably would've given her a warning and/or sent her home for a couple of nights with no pay to emphasize my displeasure. Then again when it has my name on it, my hopes, my dreams, my energy, and my money I can be a bit overaggressive, ruthless, and heavy handed to protect, keep, and control what's mine.

    I hope you have a great weekend.

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger TrinaBeingTrina said…

    OMG!!! I have gone thru this same situation. There is a diner I used to frequent with my man. The waitress there has decided that we are her best friends because we are black. She always mentions how she has only been with black men. Her kids are by black men etc..
    We only deal with it because we go there all the time and she really is a cool person. However I do feel the exact same way as Honey-libra. I don't need to hear her whole life story, and she should not act like I'm her homegirl. One night I was there with Diamonds and her brother and she actually sat next to us to go on and on about her black kids and her black man. That night I was kinda annoyed.

    Anyway knowing me I might have also fired her because that is really inappropriate.

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Emotionalbrotha said…

    Good people are hard to find.

    I think it's about common sense and common sense aint so common.

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Newy said…

    While I understand his position, I think that was a bit harsh ssince she never got a warning.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home