LUVIN ME

A way to express my thoughts to the world...

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Little Lady Doing Big Business

I had to go into the office late yesterday afternoon, and I must say, there are some weird people working there...

As we walk past the cubicles, they sit upright in their chairs, everyone on task, everyone smiling. They say hello, and continue to act like they are working, not knowing my reason for coming in. He is following me closely, taking in the environment. A few of my coworkers that I talk to on a regular basis stop in to say hello. As expected, they must have gone out and spread the word about the fine man sitting across from me. We were quite the pair yesterday. Him in his navy business suit, and me in a caramel colored suit. The women were drooling, and we are interrupted so much that I had to post my "Meeting in Session, Do Not Disturb" sign outside my door. It was the day for us to present new development to the Big Boys, and I was a nervous wreck.

I knew the info like the back of my hand. I could tell people about it in my sleep, but my heart was still racing. We worked on the portfolios for hours, and everything was ready to go. I just sat there hoping things would go well. He was just as nervous as I was. The two of us...both young, both nervous...walking into a room full of them...They have the money. They have the power. They can shoot down our idea in a fraction of a second and we would have to start of back at square one...and that's only if they will fund our work for the next couple of weeks. They could just take us off of it all together and all our hard work would go down the drain...

The time had come and we knew that it was now or never. We walked out of my office and into the boardroom. They entered with us...with stone faced expressions and cold stares. I thought it was over before it started...but I refused to be intimidated.

When all were seated, and everyone had been introduced, we took our place at the front of the room, and began. There was total silence in the room as we spoke. I am a passionate person. I take pride in everything that I do, and it shows when I speak, and you can tell that my colleague loves what he does.

We finished the presentation and all eyes were on the Big Boss. He began to clap and the applause trickled down from there. My foreign colleague and I looked at each other in relief and took a deep breath. The Big Boss stood and shook our hands smiling from ear to ear. He said,
" job well done. " He said something to the other men around him and they all nodded in appreciation as they walked out. Just like that, we had just made the company millions...and millions for the company means, a bonus for me! We did it big for the team! We made it over one hill...we have so many more mountains to go!

After work, he and I stopped by Ambitious' spot and had dinner and he had a drink to celebrate. I called my man to tell him how things turned out and I could sense a little sumthin'' in his voice when I told him where I was and who I was with, but I was too amped at the moment to get into it. I just told him I would be home later.

My colleague will be leaving at the end of the week, and my man will be back in his comfort zone. I kinda liked him coming in and shaking things up a bit. It showed my man that he can't be slippin' and let someone creep in on what he has. He appreciates me even more these days...

For the first time, we had a very personal conversation. Up until this point, it was mostly business. He told me about his life at home, and how things here are so different from his home. We both had our stories...our history. When you take a look at it, there is not much difference. Different times, different places, different days, but still the same mentality. People in search of power and domination over another group of people.

I enjoyed his company, then I went home to my somewhat jealous man to finish of the evening with a little sumthin'...It was what I needed...It was what I wanted...and it put me right to sleep.

I am so relaxed today and I plan to get absolutely nothing done today...I am bummin' for the rest of the day. I love the fact that I am only a few steps away from work...

When was the last time that you did absolutely nothing?

7 Comments:

  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    CONGRATS!!!! Go luvin! Go luvin! LOL

    I did nothing this past weekend...

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @ladynay...Thanks girl! I feel ten pounds lighter, even though I don't look the part...

    I'm glad it's over for now!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger TTD said…

    2 sundays ago..

    congrats on the job well done.. tell ur man stop tripping, he's going home soon :-) and he knows where ur heart is!

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger Freaky Deaky said…

    Congratulations! Need any help carrying that big fat bonus check to the bank?

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Emotionalbrotha said…

    Big ups, girl, big ups.. do the damn thang.

    So did u find out if cutie pie was looking for a brotha like me to entice his life? LOL...

    Nah, but, thats good, you guys got to know each other and I know about the Boardrooms.. I have a damn Board Meeting every month.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @ttd...Okaaay...He is a trip.

    @freaky deaky...Now that, I think I can manage. But thatnsk anyway...

    @emotionalbrotha...Let's just say, I'm surprised by some of the things I found out...

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger deepnthought said…

    Today...

    Congrats on the job.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home