LUVIN ME

A way to express my thoughts to the world...

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Selfish

At times I can be selfish, but it's not intentional. I have patterned my life to make ME happy. But I often forget that my decisions don't just affect me anymore. Now that I have taken my relationship to another level, my decisions affect US. So if anything, I am selfish towards my man at times, because he makes small sacrifices for our relationship ( although I do the same for him), and I expect him to.

Those of you that read my blog on the regular know that I have a close circle of friends that be a bit crazy at times...My man accepts me, and my friends. He is normally the one who steps in to resolve many of the situations that we having going on. But now, my friends are beginning to drive me crazy. Finding a balance between my friendship and my relationship is starting to get hectic, because I have a few Needy people in my area.

My daughter was with her dad yesterday, so we were able to have a little time to ourselves. After I finished with my work for the day we decided to meet at his place for a nice quiet evening. While I am on my way to his place, my pregnant friend w/the cheating husband calls to see what I am up to. I told her that I was going to hang out with my man. She just said okay, in a sour tone, and hung up the phone, without telling me what she needed. She tried to call me back 3 times while I was on the way to his house and I didn't answer the phone. You can't just hang up the phone on me and expect me to want to talk to you a few minutes later. I know she is really going through some things right now, so I try to overlook her moods, but she is really beginning to tick me off on a regular basis. Now mind you that this is the same chic that 1) I left standing in the middle of the baby store for talking crazy to me...2)My friends and I pulled funds together to help her get her mortgage payments straight....3)I let her and her husband live with me when they were having problems...and too many more things to name in one post!

I got to my man's house, and he decided that he wanted to go to a movie. As we are walking out of the door his phone rings. He answers, and guess who it is, MY FRIEND. After he answers, he tells her to hold on, then he tells me who it is. I'm like, "Why is she calling you?" He says, "She says she is calling for you. You won't answer the phone. She says that is not feeling well, and she needs you to stop by." Of course I have a big question mark over my head by now, but I get on the phone and ask he what she needs. She says, "I don't need anything, but I had to get you on the phone. I just want my friend back. You have changed. Everytime I need you, you are with him, going to meet him, or soon will be with him. That's why I called you on his phone. I knew that the only way I could get you to listen was through HIM." I didn't even have a response for what she said. At first I was confused by what she said. Then I got mad. I was too mad to talk to her. I knew I would say something that I would later regret, so I just hung up the phone on her. The old me would have cursed her out in a split second, but the new me just hung up. Anger Management really works wonders for me!

WTH? I know that I spend a lot of time with my man. He as well as my daughter, are a part of my everyday life. But what's wrong with me being happy for a change. I include my friends in my life...but why can' she accept the fact that I have a life that doesn't revolve around my friends anymore. They are used to me being available all day, everyday. It's not that way anymore, but I don't think that I'm being selfish. I'm just living my life. The reason that this got to me so much is , my cousin (with all the kids) , said the same thing to me. She said that I was being selfish now that I was happy. When did it become selfish to live your own life. Just because I am not the built in babysitter for my cousin, or the constant shoulder to cry on for my friend, doesn't make me selfish. I do what I have to do to keep my sanity, and if my man helps me to do that, that I'm doing something right. Am I in love that much to where I have forgotten about my friends? I think not! I just love MYSELF enough to know when I have had enough.

I honestly think it is selfish of them to think that they are the only thing only my mind everyday...

Do you think it is selfish to take time out to do the things that make you happy?

Do you feel that it is selfish of friends/family, to depend on you no matter what you may be going through(they excuse the fact that you have things going on)?

16 Comments:

  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Freaky Deaky said…

    Do you think it is selfish to take time out to do the things that make you happy? Nope, not at all. It's an absolute necessity that you take the time to do things that make you happy.

    Do you feel that it is selfish of friends/family, to depend on you no matter what you may be going through(they excuse the fact that you have things going on)? You don't sound like the type of person that would keep them around if you truly believed the relationship/friendship was all take and no give. It sounds like they're just jealous. We're creatures of habit. Once they have gotten used to you doing A, B, & C or you spending X% of time with or for them and then you stop significantly or completely then feathers get ruffled and the seeds of jealousy are planted.

    What surprises me the most is that they haven't taken it out on your man yet. Maybe it's just a matter of time. It's all about finding the balance. However, I suspect some of your friends won't be happy with getting any less of you then they've come to expect. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Nika Laqui said…

    You are supposed to take time out for yourself, otherwise you will forget who you are.....

    People are selfish to think that you don't have your own problems even when you can seem happy...you still have your own cross to bear...

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @freaky...I was thinking the same thing. That's what I thought my friend was trying to do when she called him. I can already see what lies ahead.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @nsane...Exactly...and I think I like this profile pic better than the one with the glasses.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Mrs A. said…

    hmmmm, i think your friend is the selfish one...but you contributed to it. it happens. when you are a good friend AND dependable, people get comfortable & clingy, especially because its such a rarity these days. i had a friend like this who was jealous of everything and everybody else in my life and ALWAYS wanted to include herself in what i did, down to my hairstyle & stylist, other friends and clothes. you need to talk to her, cuz you know she's in a bad place right now, but you are definitely entitled to do your things WITHOUT guilt and harrassment. if she can't get with that, then i know what i'd do. but one thing's for sure, you are NOT calling my man to get to me unless it's an EMERGENCY. that was disrespectful and unnecessary. people change and lives adjust, so if you adjusted to her and her family drama at times, she needs to adjust to your relationship, but in a supportive way. come on now....what's the name of your blog? no one's saying cut everyone off for your man, but you must always find time to love yourself and do what you need to do FOR YOU...no one else will.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Newy said…

    Do you think it is selfish to take time out to do the things that make you happy?

    Nope. I think it shows balance when you can just think about you for a change. As women, we are naturally just want to 'take care' of everything and everyone, but we have to realize we can't take care of anyone unless we take care of OURSELVES first.

    Do you feel that it is selfish of friends/family, to depend on you no matter what you may be going through(they excuse the fact that you have things going on)? Yes it is selfish of them. My son tried to throw a guilt trip on me for wanting to do something for me that somewhat overlapped what he wanted to do. He was mad, but he got over it. I used to just do the things that others expected no matter how it made me feel. Now, I have learned to say No.

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Newy said…

    hey miss a - who's the therapist now ;-)

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger TTD said…

    Misery love company... that sums it up right there!

    I had a friend that told me once that "i forgot about her since i got a man" i kindly informed her that she got it twisted.. that it's usually the other way around when she gets a man.. i make sure to spend time w/ my friends as much as possible as so it doesnt mess up my relationship.. i still talk to them on a regular..we may not hang out all of the time like we used to..

    but seeing as though this is the man ur going to spend the rest of ur life w/.. they need to get over it! as long as ur not completely turning ur back on them.. tell them to "kicks rocks and stop trying to rain on ur parade just b/c they're currently unhappy!"

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger Enigma said…

    Take time to live your life and enjoy it. Anyone who is truly your friend would want you to take care of your life. Leeching folks will bleed you dry, let you restore yourself and come back to leech some more if they are allowed to.
    It is sad when you have helped fam and friends and rejoice in their victories and happiness and they cannot do so when it is about you. Fortunately you understand that taking care of your life is your right and privilege. Keep taking care of you. Those who are truly your friends will bask in you joy, not try to kill it off or get envious of it. Take care.

    Kita

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    I think it's more of a issue with a change of routine issue rather than a jealousy issue. People have grown used to you having open availibility. Some people have problems with change. You've changed and people don't like it...oh well! They have to find another problem solver....

    Do you think it is selfish to take time out to do the things that make you happy?
    Nope!

    Do you feel that it is selfish of friends/family, to depend on you no matter what you may be going through(they excuse the fact that you have things going on)?
    Yes and No, if they are used to you fixing all the problems they are gonna keep calling (we are creatures of habit), but they also need to know when to call someone else.

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Ms.Honey said…

    I don't find it selfish at all to take time out for me...sometimes it's hard for me to do....sometimes I think family/friends feel like you should be obligated to be there for them they forget you have a life as well...your friend sounds a lil jealous and calling your man's house to talk to you..umm boo it's not that serious

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger @GaryTylone said…

    You are definitely not selfish...thats all i'm gon say...lol

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger TrinaBeingTrina said…

    Keep doin' what you doin'...sometimes friends and family can and will drain the freakin' life out of you.

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @miss a...I don't know who's more of a therapist..you or mz new a.

    @mznewagenda...I hate gulit trips. They usually don't work on me.

    @ttd...yep. Misery does love company.

    @southern gal... She might as well just get over it.

    @enigma...So true.

    @ladynay...Old habits die hard.

    @chris...I love that show too, but I wish it was just my girlfriends... I have guy friends too!

    @honey-libra...I thought she was dying or something. After I got over the inital shock of her calling there, I was pissed!

    @sangroncito...sounds nice...but that's wishful thinking for me!

    @valentino...that's the same thing my bank account said to me! LOL!

    @trina...I am drained!

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger Abeni said…

    No,you have to find time for yourself

    Maybe not selfish but they probably have become dependent on you and it is hard to adjust now

     
  • At 6:39 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @abeni...maybe you're right...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home