LUVIN ME

A way to express my thoughts to the world...

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Me...Selfish...What was I Thinking?

I'm crazy to even think that I have a selfish bone in my body! After checking my finances, I can see that my giving heart has got to slow down a bit. Every time I think I feel myself going down, something good happens to pick me right back up.

This is the second time that my job has given me unexpected funds. I got my review yesterday, and found out that I was one of the few people elected to receive variable pay! My boss didn't tell me how much it was, he just said it was a little something given to selected employees for outstanding performance. When my boss handed me the envelope yesterday evening, I smiled, said thank you ,and walked out of his office. I walked around and checked on my employees, said my hellos to my co-workers (things are looking different around the office).

I got to my car and opened the envelope as soon as I got in. Can you say chi-ching! It was sooo much more than I expected. I am setting some of the money aside to do some much needed summer shopping, and the rest of it will be invested. But not in the traditional type of investment...I have enough of those to last a lifetime...I invest in people. I try to help the ones that are close to me when I see they really need it, without them having to ask. If one of my friends are busting their butts at work, and living check to check to pay bills, I give the a little something to go out and do something nice for themselves. This is the reason that I am VERY selective in my circle of friends, and I am quick to cut them off when I feel they are trying to use me!

At first I was going to use the money to give a couple of the girls in my teen group, that are graduating this year, a little something to help with college expenses. I have changed my mind. I will give them something though. I stumbled upon the idea of starting a scholarship fund, through another blog that I frequent, and I will be giving them money through that fund that I established earlier this year. That way I can write it off on my taxes! So it's a win win situation for everyone! But truly, charity starts at home! I have opted to take the money and set up a fund for my cousin with the six kids. The way I see it, she can only milk the child support system for so long. When one of their daddies doesn't pay, I am the one that she calls on. Even if she does get a job, child care alone will take up most of her money. So this way I will have money to give her without hurting my own finances.

Just when I was starting to think I was being selfish, I get the opportunity to help someone else, and prove to myself that I'm not.

Do you have some thing that you want to invest in, if the funds are available?

13 Comments:

  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger TTD said…

    i knew you werent selfish back when i 1st started reading ur blog...

    what would i invest in??? my OWN business.... and that's the selfishness in me :-P

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @ttd...It's nothing wrong with having things for yourself, but now that I have just about everything that I want, I have decided to help someone else out. Since it seems that she will never help herself!

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Freaky Deaky said…

    You don't seem selfish at all.

    I'm still working on getting my wants but if I had the spare money I think I'd help people out on the down low.

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @freaky...On the down low?

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    I would invest more into my kids college fund...

    My house...

    My car....

    My grad school...

    My retirement....

    and then my mom and grandparents issues that need to be dealt with...

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger nikki said…

    let me first say I LOVE YOU FOR WHAT YOU'RE THINKING OF DOING. really, that made MY day right there...

    me:

    put aside money for my niece's college education

    send a chunk to my brother so he could fulfill his own dreams

    square my parents' debt so my mom could go ahead and retire.

    start a scholarship fund at some of the high schools

    dang...i'm acting like i've got millions to burn!

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @ ladynay...It sounds like your family would be well taken care of.

    @nikki...Thank you. So many people say. "If I had it I would give it." Well, I'm not rich AT ALL, but I can't afford not to have it. If I can afford to go buy something new for myself that I DON'T need, I can afford to buy buy a book for a young black sista out there trying to change her life for the better, or buy my cousin's kids some new school shoes! The way I see it, my reward will come later and be greater than just a new purse or pair of sunglasses!

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why said…

    i would invest more into me&misses starting somekind of business....or investing something for the lil'one....good post

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Freaky Deaky said…

    I hate when people make a big show out of doing something nice. Now if the people I do something nice for are that appreciative fine but it's nothing I demand or require. At the end of the day the only people that needs to know of my good deeds are myself and the IRS.

    Of course that's along way from happening because I have to take care of my needs and wants first. However, if I ever have the ability to help people out like I want to, I'd probably do it behind the scenes from a charity or foundation I create.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @sarccastik...Like I said, charity begins at home.

    @freaky...I understand what you mean. If it's not done from the heart, then why do it at all.

    @southern gal...you are too much, but at least you are honest.

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger Abeni said…

    I get really upset about abused children so if I had money I'd invest a lot into helping them

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Superstar Nic said…

    I don't think that you are selfish!

    I have a bunch of things I would invest in:

    1. My own business (first and foremost)
    2. My own home and other real estate
    3. Coke stock
    4. Walmart stock
    5. College funds for all the fam

     
  • At 6:39 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @abeni...That sounds nice.

    @chris...The reward is wonderful...

    @nic...My parents we some of the first share holders in Walmart stock, when it was dirt cheap. I had to pay a pretty penny to get in on it, but it is well worth it! I can't wait until my money starts working for me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home