LUVIN ME

A way to express my thoughts to the world...

Friday, April 07, 2006

You Think You Know, But You Have No Idea...

I believe that people can only teach what they know. How can a person give advise on something that they have never experienced? One of my main reasons for blogging, is it obtain true un-biased opinions on the situations going on in my life, from people who don't know me personally. That way, my personal relationship with them does not affect the opinions I receive.

But, on with the drama for the day....

I have a good friend. She is not in my circle of friends because they do not get along with her. They are exact opposites. They are Saks, she is Walmart. But she has been my friend for a long time, so I hang out with her from time to time. I hadn't seen her in a long time, and she had not met my Boo yet, so we decided that she and her male friend would meet my Boo and I for dinner last night after my teen session.

We met at a nice little restaurant close to my house. My friend is a cute girl, just a little rough around the edges. She speaks her mind, and doesn't care what people think of her. She lacks the polishing of a lady, but she can hold her own. Her friend was really nice...well spoken, handsome, built nicely, and well dressed. She was impressed with my Boo as well. We had dinner and laughed it up for about 3 hours.

We went our separate ways...then, she called me when I got home. She told me how she had just broken up with her boyfriend, and this man came in and swept her off her feet. She was bragging about the guy she was seeing. I listened. Then she started asking questions about my Boo. I answered, but every time I said something about him, she tried to say something better about her friend. After I realized the direction the conversation was going, I decided to put a little twist on it. I asked if she and her friend were in a relationship, or if they were just dating. She said that she sees him often, but they are just dating.

Then the truth came out. Normally when a person brags on their mate like that, they are covering an emotional void within themselves, or the person they are seeing. She said that she had to practically beg him to meet us for dinner. She said that he only spends the night on Monday or Tuesday, never the weekend. He likes to have lunch with her on the other days, never dinner. On the days that he spends the night with her, he always leaves in the early the next morning, in the same gym clothes every time. Strange Huh? He told her in the beginning, that he was looking for love. They have been dating for a while, and every time she talks about a relationship, he starts to get antsy, or avoid the conversation all together. She said he leaves his cell phone in his car when they are together. Hmmm...

My question to her of course was, did you talk to him about it. She said, "I afraid that if I tell him what I feel, he'll feel like I'm being jealous and just I will lose him." Then I countered with, " From what you're saying, it sounds like you don't have him. It sounds to me like he is either married or involved in another relationship."

She didn't take that comment well at all. She goes off on me about how I think I'm in this perfect relationship when in fact, my Boo may be the one cheating. I could have gotten mad at her and went along with the whole charade but with my quick wit and razor tongue I said," I know where my man is every night...do you? If he is in fact yours?" She stopped talking. She, as all of my other friends know that once I get started, it's over. Words can cut like a knife, and I carry a machete at all times.

I am not a relationship expert. I just work to make MY relationship the best it can be. I tend not to give relationship advise to friends. I told her, as I would have told any of my friends, to go with her gut feeling. No one knows that man like she does, because she is the one who has been with him. Do what she felt was right for her situation. I got off the phone, took a shower, and took care of my own business that had just gotten out of the shower and was lying across my bed...

Why is it that we think that the cure for losing a mate is gaining another?

If you are broken, and haven't had time to heal, is it fair to bring those feelings into a new relationship?

Is the new relationship then one of dependency and convenience, or could you truly fall in love with the new person because you feel like they can "take away the hurt?"

14 Comments:

  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    I need to email this to my cousin! She is marrying a guy she started dating in December. She annouced her engagement one week after her husband told her he was having an outside child!

    My cousin has already admitted to being the type of woman that can't be alone. I can understand the position, sorta, but why not just date vs getting married!

    Sorry starting a tangent...

    A lot of us (especially females) don't give ourselves time to heal, which is a problem.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Darbs said…

    Very deep questions that hit home. I'm in the very beginning stages of divorce and I'm kinda torn on this very subject. At the end of the day, I believe the time you take between relationships is relative and based on your emotional well being and peace of mind. Sometimes (and I could see this being my case) people can start dating soon after a failed relationship simply because that relationship was over well before it was "over" and they have had their time to heal. I also feel that the healing and bounce back time for the one who left and the one who was left is VERY different...so that needs to be taken into account as well.

    I guess you just have to ask yourself if you are entering into a new relationship because you want to make yourself feel better, feel loved or to get back at someone - then you are not ready to move on and you need to take more time for yourself.

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Msnhim said…

    Hmmm this is very interesting.... I think people do what they need to do to get over the EX. Like Darbs said sometimes the relationship was over before is was "officailly over".

    It is sometimes true that once you've been in a relationship a long time your use to having someone in your life so you replace one with the next......Healthy? No but everyone makes the right chouce for them.

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @ladynay...I hope your cousin thinks twice about her decision.

    @I didn't take the fact that the relationship may be 'over before it's over' into consideration. Good point.

    @msnhim...True, different strokes for different folks.

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Newy said…

    It's like "Don't ask, dont tell." That dude has someone else and it doesn't take a genious to see that. You know, I get angry when I see women putting up with bull just to say that they have a man...when they don't really. Think about it...better yet...here is a quote by yours truly from a post I did called "Friends and Lovers"

    "I don't understand that crap...why just keep someone on the back burner just in case?!?!?!?! and shoot while you playing why should we STAY on the back burner? If you see you are not number 1 don't stay number 2 waiting for a promotion to number one....Think about it...if you are number two while he has a main girl...if you get promoted to number one...someone has your old job at number 2 you better ...The manual says that if you were second to someone before you will never TRULY be number 1 you are always number just in case. "

    http://mznewagenda.blog-city.com/friends_and_lovers.htm

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Newy said…

    And another thing I thought about....If she had to beg him etc. to come, sounds like she picked the "finest" of the men she is "dating" (read - Screwing) and er um "hoped she had a better specimen to bring to dinner" sound like she wants to be a ghetto supastar.....

    I too carry a double edged sword in the form of a tongue, but I am getting better at it since I asked God to temper it ;-) *snicker*

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger TTD said…

    time is needed b/w relationships...

    the dude is married! i bet he is!! or he has a serious relationship q/ someone else... she needs to WALK AWAY!!

    she has to give her heart time to heal anyways...

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger latinachik4lif said…

    WOW this is really deep. And you shouldnt b worried cuz u told her wat she needed to nou so she can get out of the relationship. Cuz it really does seem hes cheating on her and dats not fair at all. And honestly i do think people go into other relationships to forget bout the other one dey just ended. I nou dat cuz i did it n it didnt turn out good. Ohh well. And ladynay is right, us females dont giv da time to heal! Which we always talk bout but never do anythin bout it n it just hurts us more.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @mznewagenda...My girl needs to get it together!

    @ttd...I tried to tell her that it sounded like he was married, but she wan't hearing it so I just have to let her be.

    @latinachik...That is so true. Thanks for stopping by!

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Me, Myself, and I said…

    I wouldn't end one relationship and jump into another. I need time to heal, if it was a committed one. However, there could be instances in which the relationship was over well before it actually ended, so finding someone else may not be a problem. I've seen that happen before.
    However, I wouldn't look for another relationship to compensate for a failed one.

    Nice blog you have here...

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger Superstar Nic said…

    I agree that a person needs time to heal after a breakup. I believe that many people are afraid to alone with themselves and its my belief that you need time to reflect on yourself and want it is that you want in a mate. I would also think about where the relationship went wrong so as to not make those same mistakes again.

    My mother always talk me to enjoy my own company, I just think that more people should do that before jumping into another relationship. Maybe that way they would stand a better a chance of working. I just don’t like to see women jumping from man to man. It just seems like they sell themselves short that way or something. Lawd knows I ain’t one to give ‘relationship’ advice, but spending time with yourself is about loving yourself, so I don’t really consider this relationship advice (smile).

    Have a great weekend!

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Ms.Behavin said…

    Dude is already taken!! He has to be.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with datin' someone soon after getting out of a relationship. The problem is deciding between rebound relationships and genuine interest. I don't think rebounding ever really turns into the real thing...

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Blogger Ming Houser, Realtor said…

    Very thought provoking questions...

    No, it's not fair to bring old issues into new relationships, but it's life. And, most people don't even realize that they have a problem or that they are still hurting from their past relationships. They think that erasing the ex's number out of their phone has erased them out of their heart...never fulling healing the broken heart and loving themselves again.

    I think that there may be cases that a new relationship that comes along quickly after the old one can be real or true or healthy. For instance, if it was an amicable break-up then there may not be any lingering issues that will prevent the person from moving on and loving someone else so soon. BUT, more often than not, that's not the case leading people to relationship jumping...trying to figure out why they can't make anything work.

    I just broke up with my ex about 3 weeks ago and I have decided to take some time for me...a break from dating for the same reasons you mentioned in question form. I personally think that's important to maintaining your peace of mind. I think that after every relationship one needs to evaluate it and see what they were suppose to learn. Fully understand why it ended and make mental notes on what they want to take from it. That's the only way a person can grow from their experiences and not keep repeating the empty, I think I love him, does he really love me, cycle...

    I'm just learning this....

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    Souther gal...I'm sure he does.

    @Kayla...When you start a new relationship to help end another, it usually ends in failure.

    @dee...I was thinking the same thing the whole time we were talking. I was like, "How old are we,again?"

    @Nic...True, there is no one in this world that can love You like YOU!

    @Ms Behavin...Thanks for stoppin' by. I don't think it's the real thing either.

    @dynasty...It's a lesson that has to be learned by all, but unfortunately, some people never get it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home