LUVIN ME

A way to express my thoughts to the world...

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Some People Just Don't Get It

Society manipulates our minds into thinking that we have to 'fit in." What is really IN? Must we spend our lives wondering, "is my butt too big...Hair too short, too nappy...Do I switch a little too hard?" It's a crazy world out there, and sometimes, you left with no amswers.

I love basketball! I don't play, but I love to watch the game. I spend A LOT of time with my friends, that's why they are mentioned in so many of my posts. They are ALWAYS around. My friends and I went to a Sport's Bar last night to watch the Mavs game. I introduced my circle long ago in a post titled Friendship. We were all out last night, including Angel(my girl with the dog husband)...With the exception of High Class. My circle consists of both gay and straight men...And that's what started this craziness.

The waitress brought a drink over to my friend Ambitious. He gave her a strange look and said, "I didn't order this." She told him that it had been sent to him by a gentleman that was seated at the bar. He was like " WHAT?" He sent the drink back. The guy gave him the dirtiest look. We finished watching the game with no more distractions, and then we all decided to talk for a while. The guy, who had not moved from his chair since we had been there, approached our table. He asked to speak with Ambitious. Ambitious told him that anything he had to say to him, could be said in front of his friends. The man began to go off on my boy! He said that it was very rude of him to refuse his drink. He started this long drawn out argument about how and why gay black men can't find decent, faithful partners. He said that the gorgeous guys think that they are too good for the world, and they put others down. He felt he had to say something about it.

Ambitious was livid. He turned to the guy and said, "I'm Not Gay!" The man had a puzzled look on his face. He said that he assumed my friend was gay, because he was sitting at a table with at least 3 gay men and a couple of women. We are all like...WTF! The guy turned and walked away without saying another word. Society has now flipped the script! Here we had a gay man, assuming that a straight man was gay because he had gay friends! We have all known each other for years! We played hide and seek together! Ambitious had fought many fights for my friend Diva because he was so flamboyant(even when we were younger), but he loved him as a friend. Now he was having to defend himself because he was friends with gay men. Diva used to play dress up with me and my girls. My parents never really said anything, they just let him be himself. That's why he used to love coming to my house. He didn't have to hide who he was. My dad was more worried actually about Ambitious coming over. He always sat outside with us when the boys came over.

Why are people so twisted? What is wrong with a straight man having gay friends? Especially if they have been friends since childhood? Being gay doesn't change who my friends are on the inside. It changes WHO they want to be involved with? Does that exclude them from needing love and friendship from the people that mean the most to them? We have had this conversation so many times in my circle. I used to be ridiculed for having gay friends. I could care less what people say. I love those boys, and nothing can change that. I found myself taking up for them...But they weren't the ones who needed help. It's these other stupid a** people out there. I think that feeling comes from insecurity that people have with themselves and their sexuality. People should know themselves before they question others! My friends know and accept who they are, and so do we. It takes a real man/woman to be able to accept who they are, and reach out to others no matter what their sexaul orientation is. I am so proud to be in a circle with secure, black, men and women!

I was asked by a co-worker, how can I be a Christian, and hang out with gay men. I told her that the God I serve loves ALL people just the same. If my gay friends had any sins that they needed to repent for, it was between them and God, just like the sins that both she and I have. Is it worse for me to sleep with a man that I'm not married to, than it is for my gay friend to do so? It's sinning no matter what package you put it in! That shut her up!

I can't conrol society, but I can question the way people around me think. This post leaves me with so many questions...Can straight men/women have gay friends and not question their own sexuality? I think so, but what do you think?

8 Comments:

  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger TTD said…

    i think so too.. my male cousin is gay.. i love hangin out w/ him & his friends.. they're really cool that my bf doesnt mind being around them either

    on the other side.. i played basketball from age 8 to 22.. i've been around many lesbians.. they understood that i was not gay.. and no one ever crossed the line and they were some of my best friends..

    i agree that it depends on the security of the person in question of whether they can handle being the friend of a gay person

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    LOL wrong person to ask!

    I have alot of male and female friends and associates (on and offline) that are st8, gay and inbetween.

    Just because you hang out with people who are not like you doesn't you one of them. Like when I hang out with my white girl squad, I am not white! LOL

    But society looks at it that way. For example, whenever I hang out with the L-unit (lesbian unit) it has been assumed that I am one on more than one occasion.

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    And no, I don't question my sexuality....

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Msnhim said…

    If people just "live and let live" the world would be a better place! Your friends are your friends and to hell with everyone else!

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger ~HoustonNY~ said…

    OK, can I tell you that I am in LOVE with your page!!! I am now checking it before I even check my work emails in the morning! This is what a blog page is suppose to be about--thought provoking!

    Funny, one time I was with four of my straight friends. They are SUPER cool with me. We went to a gay bar and then we went to a straight bar. Now I am no flame by any stretch of the imagination, but I also don't really try to hide it. I am just comfortable with myself. Well, these girls came over to talk to me and two of our friends. We entertained them and one of the girls was really pushing up on me. I still like girsl (a lot!!!) but I wasn't interested in her. My boy told her about me and she got mad. 'How could you really be like that when the rest of your boys are straight???' What!!! Who are you lady??? Umm, that was a first for me. Memories....i need a fruit bar right now...or a Martini, whichever comes first...

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Ms.Honey said…

    One of my closest friends is gay and I always feel like I'm myself with him and surprisingly he has taught me so much about myself and the things around me.....you have to be secure in who you and if they are really your friend their sexuality won't matter....we aren't God, so who are we to judge.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    I agree with all of you. Nobody can be you but you!

    @terrance...thanks for the love!

    @honey-libra...I feel the same way. My friends teach me so much about myself!

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Abeni said…

    Yup,you can be friends but people would want to figure birds of a feather flock together.Whenever,I say gay people have to answer to their God and not me am accused of being a gay sympathiser

     

Post a Comment

<< Home