LUVIN ME

A way to express my thoughts to the world...

Monday, March 06, 2006

Over-Protective or Not?

My friend called on Saturday from an anonymous number. She told me that she was okay, and I told her that I had let her mother know what was going on. She said she would call her mom to let her know that she was okay. She told me that she might be moving in the near future. She said that this town is not big enough for the both of them . She cannot fathom the thought of seeing him with his kid. I wanted to let her know at that point that it was two kids instead of one, but I would be doing that coward a favor, I'll let him tell her. She really wouldn't give me any details on her whereabouts. She just told me that she was out of town clearing her head, and she was okay. At this point, that was enough for me. At least I know she is alive, and okay, physically. Thanks for sending all those prayers up for my girl!

I decided that I wouldn't post about the Oscar's because I know there will be a S***load of posts about them but I do have to say one things. Was it me or did every WP in the building stop breathing when 3-6 Mafia took the stage. That was a signature Oscar moment. Now you know Kanye was somewhere about to s*** a brick because someone beat him to the punch!

I spent the weekend with my man and my daughter. We did the 'family thing' all weekend. It is really hard for me to allow a man to get close to my little girl. It's not that I don't trust him, because I do. I just have to be extra cautious, because if anything happened to my daughter and it MY fault, I would not be able to live with myself.

I had never told him how I feel about this situation. The only men I feel comfortable about leaving my daughter alone with are my brother(he used to keep my bad a** when we were growing up), My dad( my mom is normally always there, but I still trust him), and her father. Other than that. She is either with one of my grannies or with me. I think he sensed my uneasiness on Sunday afternoon. My family had dinner at my house this week, and my mom asked him to go to the store around the corner. My daughter ran in an said, "I want to go", and he said, "okay, come one." I immediately looked at her and said "No!". She gave me this puzzled look and walked out of the room disappointed. He gave me that "we need to talk" look and left for the store.

When he came back from the store, he took me into my bedroom to talk. I could tell that he was upset. He wanted to know why I had embarrassed him in front of my family. I told him that I was truly sorry if I had embarrassed him, but I am very cautious of my daughter. He really looked hurt when I tried to explain it to him, and I could tell he didn't understand. How can I explain it to him in a way that he would understand? It's not my distrust for him that makes me over-protective of my child. It's my insecurity with the world around me that makes me react in the way I do. I would expect her father to react in the same manner if someone wanted to take my daughter without him around. How would you handle this situation if a child that you loved and you were responsible for was involved. I know it was only around the corner, but if I let her go this time, then she will expect to go all the time.

I explained the situation to my daughter when she was going to bed last night. I told her that no matter what, she is never to go with anyone alone unless it was someone in her close family that I named above. She understood.

He spent the night with us last night, and I could tell that he was still not satisfied with the answer that I gave him. Maybe he will understand when he has a child of his own...Even though he is upset, I still feel I made the right decision.

What are your thoughts?

14 Comments:

  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    I don't know if it's because I am a parent, but I would have reacted the same way you did. Society has taught us that ish happens and we don't want to take the risk of putting our children in the hands of non blood.

    As bad as it sounds, my thing is more toward men. Pooka has spent the night @ her God mothers and I have let her take her to the movies and Chuck E Cheese without me, but I don't think I could let my male friend do it!

    It's weird, twisted, and unfair, but that's how it is sometimes.

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    I think it's just a parent thing.

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Abeni said…

    While we have to be careful the reality is blood often hurt our children as much if not more than strangers.If over time I have built up a trust with the male person I would let her do certain things with him.

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    Abeni - your absolutely right, blood do crazy things also.

    *smh* It's sad....

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Abeni said…

    You just have to go with your gut instinct.In the end don't be guilty about what you decide

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Ladynay said…

    Oh yeah and I thought it was funny that one of the first things we both thought about the 3 6 mafia thing was Kanye West! LOL

    Okay, I am leaving your blog now! *cheese*

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @LadyNay...Yep You know Kanye thinks he is the S***! So now I'm like, what's next?

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @abeni...luckily, my family has been pretty safe. For the most part, my daughter is with me. Other than her father, she is really not around other people very much.

    My gut tells me to be cautious for now. Maybe in the future, if I marry this man, I might consider allowing her to go somewhere alone with him. But we are far from that right now!

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Ms.Honey said…

    It's just that your a mom and you want to protect her..maybe once you and the man are more serious you'll feel a lil better about him being with her and you're not around..your reaction is totally understandable..it's your job to protect your child...as much as you can

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger feels good b n FREE said…

    i understand...
    that reminds me of the tyler perry movie out now, there was a similar situation that happened with the kids in it.

    it'll all work out

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Msnhim said…

    I would have done the same thing. I have 3 girls myself and they dont go anywhere without me.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger ~HoustonNY~ said…

    Hey, this is my first time at your blog and.....wow!!! Amazing entries and postings. I think you are my new hero!!!

    Relating to your question, as a parent, I understand where you are coming from. I have a son, so the situation is different but the same. As a male, I understand totally where you are coming from, but I understand how he feels. I know he is probably hurt because he is thinking that you don't really trust him completely. He is thinking that he would NEVER, EVER do anything to hurt your child and that you know him and should understand this. However, to him, your reaction was harsh and swift. I know that you two have probably already spoken about it, but from a male perspective, explain to him that it is and was never about him: its about your daughter. You are charged with the responsiblity to teach her to NEVER go with anyone alone, NO MATTER WHAT unless you have approved it or the three males you mentioned. Its simple parenting at his best. You want your daughter to learn that you can trust people, but that you have to always protect yourself. If you take it from this angle, I think that he should take the situation a little better and not as a blatant rejection by you.

     
  • At 3:51 AM, Blogger TrinaBeingTrina said…

    First I want to say I'm really glad that you heard from your girl. I know you are extremely relieved.

    Second, you can never be to overprotective of your children. As crazy as this may sound my daughter is a big reason why I stayed with my boyfriend so long. No, she is not his child but he completely earned my trust when it came to her. I knew he loved her to death and would never ever hurt her or let any harm come to her if he could help it. That was really major for me to feel like that because I am not a generally trusting person.

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said…

    @Everyone...I had a nice convo with my Boo last night. I think he understands a little better, and thanks for all the advice as usual!


    @terrance...thanks for stopping by my spot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home